About The Course
This course is designed to support career development in HR by providing you with a a deeper understanding of all aspects of the profession.
- Gain an internationally recognised CIPD qualification
- Explore the full range of topics at this level
- Gain associate membership of the CIPD, allowing you to use the designation Assoc. CIPD after your name to showcase your credentials
At Westminster Kingsway College, our CIPD courses are run by Tony Kerley, who has over 30 years of hands-on HR experience across virtually every sector including Banking (HSBC), Recruitment (Manpower UK), Manufacturing (Carlsberg UK), Property (Cater Jonas), Public Sector (3 NHS Trusts, two universities and Suffolk County Council) as well as considerable involvement in various charitable and NGO work including Age UK and The Overseas Development Institute. Tony has founded, grown and sold multiple HR related businesses through which he has consulted to many executive teams advising on HR strategy as well as supporting HR managers to attract, develop and retain key talent to give them a competitive advantage in their respective fields.
A member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) for over 14 years, Tony holds a Postgraduate Advanced Diploma in Human Resource Development and supplements this by drawing on his experience in his lessons by providing useful insights into HR practice. He is an L&D specialist with considerable recruitment and employee engagement experience and continues to provide consultancy services in these fields in addition to the work that he does at WestKing.
Tony has carefully selected and manages a team of CIPD qualified and highly experienced tutors to deliver your learning experience. Your tutors are engaged for a number of reasons, including their ability to bring specialist skills and experience to teach on the course. You will be introduced to your dedicated tutor on the first night of your course.
What Will I Study?
Developing professional practice
- Gain a better understanding of the role of the HR professional and what skills are required to work within the sector
- Learn about conflict resolution and how to create your own personal development plan
Managing and Coordinating the Human Resources Function
- Gain insight in to the key objectives of HR departments in contemporary organisations
- Examine different ways of delivering HR objectives and emerging developments in the management of the employment relationship are explored; as well as the methods that can be used to demonstrate that HR adds value for organisations
Business issues and the context of HR
- Learn how to use data to measure business performance
- Gain a full understanding of the job market; and develop possible obstacles and risks to the organisation
- Gain a deeper understanding of social justice in the workplace, the employment tribunal system, contracts of employment
- Learn how to manage redundancy, disciplinary hearings and unfair and constructive dismissal
- Understand the historical and theoretical basis of organisation design and the relationship between organisational elements and the business strategy
- Understand the key factors to be considered in the design of organisations and the implications for the management and development of people and resources
- Understand the organisation development process from a historical, theoretical and practical perspective
- Understand various organisation development practices, models and approaches
- Understand the value of organisation development interventions to business performance and productivity
Improving organisational performance
- Understand the conceptual frameworks and complexity of high-performance working (HPW) and its contribution to sustainable organisation performance
- Understand the business case for creating a high-performance work organisation (HPWO)
- Understand the contribution of the performance management process to high levels of performance
- Understand the role of line managers in the performance management process
- Know how to create and sustain a community of practice to build a high-performance culture
Using information in HR
- Be able to use quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to analyse and interpret business trends
- Present cost-benefit and resource analysis data to different stakeholders
Resourcing and talent planning
- Learn how to strategise for labour supply and the levels of available talent
- Be able to create a system for succession planning and appraisals
- Gain a deeper understanding of recruitment and selection, and employee retention plans and reward strategies
What Will I Need?
- Some experience working in Human Resources is required for students looking to study the Level 5 qualification.
- Attainment of the CIPD Foundation Diploma at Level 3 is desirable but not compulsory.
- You must have a minimum English language level equivalent to IELTS 4.5.
How Will I Be Assessed?
The qualification is granted following professional assessment of course work and written assignments.
What Will It Cost?
Entry Level, Level 1, Level 2
If you will be aged 19 or older on 31 August in the year you begin your course, and have been resident in the UK/EU/EEA for the past 3 years, your course may be free, depending on your circumstances. Some courses will have other costs associated, such as for materials and trips. Many of our students are eligible for financial support when studying at college – please click here for more information.
What Can I Do After?
This course will help you to move on to higher level courses, such as Level 7 CIPD qualifications. Previous students have progressed into management roles or have chosen to specialise in areas such as Talent Management or Organisational Change.